Are you in one of those seasons of life when you have taken on too much and are overwhelmed by all of your responsibilities? Or maybe expectations at work increased at the exact same time as a family commitment became more intense? Or maybe you are feeling the pressure of the upcoming holidays and all that goes into making that time of year work?
When I find myself in the middle of a season that feels too full I often long for a way out, but it can also feel like my hands are tied. It’s easy to tell myself that I just have to suck it up, deal with it, and hope for easier days ahead. But I know in my heart there has to be another way, because powering through often leaves me exhausted, resentful, and still feeling stuck.
It might not be easy. But I have to LET GO.
I don’t mean throw in the towel or trash it all! That doesn’t solve anything. What I am talking about is noticing the things that are taking up time and energy, but could be set down FOR NOW. Setting a few things aside FOR NOW is one way to open up the breathing space needed to keep my body and mind from feeling so overloaded and neglected. But nobody knows what those things are but me.
No one can give me permission to let go. The only person who knows what I need, when I need it is ME.
Which means I have be mindful of what is happening inside of me. I have to stay in touch with my tendencies, my desires, my hopes and my frustrations.
So if you are feeling overloaded and know that a shift is needed, then try this simple exercise to uncover the things that you want to let go of FOR NOW in order to take better care of your mental health and your heart.
- Find a scrap of paper, the back of an envelope, or turn to the next page in one of the many notebooks lying around.
- Take 5 minutes and write down everything that you would like permission to let go of. Go ahead! No one has to see this list.
- And don’t sensor yourself. If something wants to get written on the list, then write it. No second-guessing.
- Now sit for a moment and let yourself feel the relief that comes from listening to the requests that are coming from your heart. Maybe even put your hands on your heart-it’s funny how this simple act can feel so soothing.
- Then, commit to make one small change OR do nothing but keep this list in mind and watch for ways that you could decrease your involvement in something that you wrote.
Offer yourself the permission to let go of needing to do it all! Your body, mind and soul will thank you.
If you are in a place of overwhelm and longing to shed some of the things in your life that are holding you back, then I hope you find some encouragement from this poem by Safire Rose.
You can let go. You can move ahead.
Offer yourself the permission you need to make your life reflect your desires.
Declutter & Redesign is all about letting go of the things that no longer serve you and redesigning your space, lifestyle, or habits to fit that yearning in your soul for a change or an easier way.
And this letting go can happen in stages, so wherever you are on your own journey, I hope you continue to follow along or share this message of hope, so that we each find the support we need at the right time.
Be in touch. I offer a 30 min. free phone consultation and would love to hear more about the changes that you are longing to make.